oceanside fire department, south side hose company #2
Written by: Oceanside Fire Department
South Side Hose Company #2 was organized by Mr. John Denis on August 1, 1927 and granted it's charter by New York State on December 6, 1927.Their initial meeting was held at the Mott Street home of founding member, Linus Anderson. The first order of business was to appoint Mr. Denis as chairman. In addition they elected a slate of officers, adapted a set of by-laws and voted to schedule the monthly meetings for the first Tuesday of each month thereafter. Almost 80 years later we still follow the original '1st Tuesday' schedule adopted at this historic meeting!
Regular company meetings were held at the Salamander Fire Hall on Foxhurst Road from September 6, 1927 through the end of May 1929 and the Company's truck, a Ford Model "T", was stored in the garage of Linus Anderson when not in use.
South Side purchased a plot of land on Oceanside Road for $500.00 and allocated an additional $1,900.00 for materials to build their very own Fire House. Our members pulled together and built the building themselves. On June 5, 1929 the company took up residence, our Model "T" was driven across the field from Linus' garage, and South Side Hose Company #2 had it's first meeting in it's brand new home.
During the 1940's an adjacent lot was purchased. On March 24, 1963 the members broke ground for their new quarters. The building was completed in the fall 1963 and the membership moved in on 22nd of December -- just in time for the 37th Annual Christmas party. They held their first meeting at the new Fire House on January 7, 1964. The original building was left standing and rented out as a source of income for the Company until 1981, when it was taken down to make a parking lot for members.
On March 20, 1971 the mortgage on our Fire House was paid off and the members held a Mortgage Burning Party. That same year it was decided to purchase the adjacent home of "Dutch" Abrams. The company took out a new mortgage, purchased and demolished "Dutch's" house, built an extension on the building and a complete renovation to the interior of the existing Fire House. The extension added a large Rec room, an additional ladies and men's room and a store room. The renovations included the installation of air conditioning, parquet flooring, carpeting, paneling, new ceilings, etc. The interior renovations of the existing space were completed by 1975 and those in the addition shortly thereafter. Once again -- the members did the majority of the work themselves.
In the late 1970's the large storage area in the new addition was converted into a Company Room. The existing company room was then split in 2 and converted to an office for the company officers and a conference room.
This building continues to house our company and has seen numerous facelifts throughout the years. In fact just in the past 3 years we've upgrade our offices, both cosmetically and technologically, replaced our outdated air conditioning with a state-of-the-art computer controlled HVAC system, installed a new EDPM Roof and freshened up our meeting hall with new carpeting and a renovated ladies room.
We, the members of South Side Hose Company #2 are proud of our heritage -- and proudly look forward to the heritage we will leave behind for future members, in turn.
OCEANSIDE FIRE DEPARTMENT -