Written by NBFD
In 1923, a handful of homeowners in the north end of the fire district decided to organize, because they felt they needed more fire protection nearer to them. These men first met in a building on Waltoffer Avenue which was a laundry. After a few meetings they bought a used Reo Truck. They put this into use as their first fire truck. It was equipped with shovels, pails, and brooms. The truck was housed in a garage on the corner of Washington and Decatur Avenue. Mounted on the roof of the garage was a school bell which was sounded as a fire signal.
At this time, the men requested a charter from the State of New York. This was granted and the organization was now known as Engine Company No. 2, which was part of the North Bellmore Fire District. Property was now purchased on Newbridge Road which is still to this day the present location of the firehouse. Money was needed to build a garage.
The men went door to door to every homeowner in the area to whom they sold shares of the company. As money came in, the building progressed to the size of a two car garage. When it was completed, it housed the Reo and a new Ford Model A Chemical Truck.
The building was also used as a meeting room. The fire signal used here was a hoop, hung on an A frame and rung with a sledge hammer. As time went on, wells were put in for easy access to water and air horns later called men to duty. In 1933, the younger men of the company organized a speed racing team. They decided to call themselves the “Rinky Dinks”. They got to use the name when they got permission from the editor and publishers of the then famous Rinky Dink Cartoon.
Today, now a department drill team the North Bellmore Rinky Dinks still compete in these time-honored traditional drills. In 1956, the company’s charter was changed to North Bellmore Engine and Rescue Company No. 2 as the men in the company became trained in first aid procedures. In 1969, a monument was constructed next to the firehouse in memory of all firemen past and present. The bell used on the monument is the original bell used in 1923 to alert residents and call to duty.
Extra Photos of North Bellmore Fire Trucks, possibly some not included in the company categories. Some of the photos were taken off the web and some were scanned or copied from collections. In order to share all the extra photos with you we had to omit the photos details. We placed the "LONGISLANDFIRETRUCKS" watermark on the photos for accountability purposes because we just don't have the time to label every single extra photo we have with all the details. If the photo was taken or scanned by someone else the marks are still on the photo. The details for most of the photos can be found in the company categories. Thanks to all who have contributed. Enjoy.
north bellmore fire department - 650