Submitted by: Kevin Weeks
Franklin Square & Munson Fire Dept.
Call sign: 710
The Munson Fire Company, Which consisted of the Munson Hook & Ladder Co 1. was formed in 1907.
It served the area of Munson, and Franklin Square. It's fire house was a 2 story, single bay barn built on what is now Hempstead turnpike a few years later. As the company grew and evolved the building was altered slightly until it was closed in 1959 when the current station was opened. The "Munson House" still exists today, used as a church across from the silver star dinner. As the small community grew the local residents choose to form a fire company for Franklin Square and in July of 1923 the Franklin Square Hose & Chemical Company was formed. There Fire House was built on the corner of Hempstead turnpike & Madison Ave. It also still exists today and is the "Wah-Luck Chinese Kitchen" in the exact same location. Hose & Chemical had a Chemical car with a hose bed on it (No.1) and a pumper (No.2).
In 1924, as county formed the local fire districts, The Munson Co & The Franklin Sqaure Co meet and agree to a fire protection district and they became the Franklin Square & Munson Fire Department. The 2 independent Companies operate this way for the next 10 years.
In 1935, the members of Hose & Chemical Co. Split. They remain "hose & chemical company" but Pumper No.1 Remains as Hose & Chemical (now refered to as Engine 1) and pumper No.2 becomes Engine Company 2.
In 1941 Fire Police Co 1 is formed and purchase a small Diamond T floodlight to use. A few years later in 1943 Floodlight & Salavge Co 1 is formed and another Diamond T floodlight is purchased, larger then the Fire police one.
In 1950 an Ambulance Squad is formed and use a Cadillac ambulance, unit 715.
By the late 1950's, the 1907 Munson & 1923 Hose and Chemical fire houses have grown too small & out dated. A new larger station is built behind the post office. It is opened in 1959. A few other changes also take place that year. First, Engine Company 3 is formed (unit 716). Second, Floodlight & Salvage changes to Floodlight & Rescue Co with the purchase of a Divco step Van that became the first "Heavy Rescue " (Floodlight 714 & Rescue 719). Third, the Independent Fire companies (Munson H&L and Hose & Chemical) disband. In the 1970's Floodlight 714 is sold and Floodlight & Rescue Co changes for the third & final time, becoming Heavy Rescue Co 1. No other major Company changes happen until 1986. In that year, the Ambulance squad formed in 1950 becomes EMS Co 1.
Today, the Franklin Square & Munson FD operates out of the Fire House built in 1959 and operates the following companies and units:
Engine Co 1: 711
Engine Co. 2: 712
Hook & Ladder Co 1: 713
EMS Co 1: 7151 & 7152 (unit #715 was retired in the 1980's)
Engine Co 3: 716
Fire Police Co 1: 7171 & 7172 (unit #717 was retired in 2011)
Heavy Rescue Co 1: 719
Medic Car: 7155
Transport units: 718 & 7181(also called 71B)
District Maintance: 714
contribute to our site: