Shares from Manhasset-Lakeville FD Web photos
MLFD - Firehouses
Extra Photos of Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Trucks, possibly some not included in the company categories. Some of the photos were taken off the web and some were scanned or copied from collections. In order to share all the extra photos with you we had to omit the photos details. We placed the "LONGISLANDFIRETRUCKS" watermark on the photos for accountability purposes because we just don't have the time to label every single extra photo we have with all the details. The details for most of the photos can be found in the company categories. Thanks to all who have contributed. Enjoy.
The purpose of the Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Department's Police Unit shall be to protect life, limb and property at the scene of a fire or incident, and to facilitate the access of any and all equipment and apparatus to the fire or incident scene. In addition, the Police Unit shall regulate traffic at all department activities.
Responding to over 800 ambulance and/or rescue calls in 2012, the Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Department's Ambulance Unit was founded in August 1988.
The Ambulance Unit currently responds with Ambulance 8768 and Ambulance 8769, which are both well-powered Advanced Life support (BLS/ALS) ambulances. The Ambulance Unit also responds with EMS First Response Vehicle 8799. All three pieces of apparatus are equipped with today's latest life-saving equipment.
The Ambulance Unit, as well as its three pieces of apparatus, are centrally stationed at Company 3's firehouse, which is located on Prospect Street in the Thomaston section of Great Neck. Members of the Ambulance Unit are certified as New York State Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT), whom are trained in semi-automatic defibrillation and Advanced Emergency Medical Technicians-Critical Care (AEMT-CC), whom in addition to basic EMT skills, are capable of manual defibrillation; starting intravenous lines (IV); administering medications; and endotracheal intubation.
ompany #5 of the Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Department is a Fire/Rescue company located on 78th Avenue in North New Hyde Park. Company #5 protects the communities of North New Hyde Park, Lake Success and portions of Manhasset Hills and Searingtown.
Company #5 is one of two Manhasset-Lakeville fire companies with Hurst "Jaws of Life" rescue systems and responds to all motor vehicle accidents as well as vehicle fires on the Long Island Expressway and Northern State Parkway. Company #5’s firehouse is the home of Engine 8758, Engine 8756 and Squad 8759. Company #5 responds to over 400 incidents yearly.
Written by; MLFD
History of Company #5
In the late 1940’s, the south end of the Manhasset-Lakeville Fire District was changing rapidly. The area that was largely potato farms was now becoming communities such as Lakeville Estates. (There are still concrete walls on Evans St. and Sylvia Lane which bordered a few of the old farms.) As the neighborhoods popped up, so did the need for increased fire protection.
Company 5 was formed as a separate unit in 1946 and was accepted into Manhasset-Lakeville in 1947, operating from the Lakeville Road Pump Station. The following year, the tiny firehouse was moved on a flatbed truck to 78th and Stewart Avenues. In 1957, the present quarters was built on the same site. The building had the distinction of being the first split-level firehouse in the U.S. It was written up in the Journal of Architecture, winning several awards.
Engine 50 was the first piece of equipment purchased for Company 5 and now serves as the Department’s Antique Rig (Antique Engine 8750). A second apparatus, a City Service Hook and Ladder, was added in 1950. Over the years there were various engines with some differences. For example Engine 55 carried 750 gallons of water. But the increased volume of operations on the highways called for a new style of both apparatus and equipment.
Company 5 faced the challenge of handling those calls in addition to operating as a normal engine company. Hurst Tools (Company 5 received the first in the department in 1976) and the latest equipment for foam operations became as important as halligans and ladders. With member safety being paramount, a new style apparatus became vital as well. Company 5 now runs with Engine 8756 which is a 1996 KME. It is a 1500 GPM enclosed pump panel pumper. Engine 8758 is also a KME 1500 GPM top-mount pumper. Squad 8759 is a 2011 Smeal Rescue/Pumper with a 1250 GPM pump. All three are designed for maximum protection of the driver and the crew.
Many members have served with distinction over the years. Charles Skakandi and Ex-Chief Walter Salowski are 50+year members. Ex-President Martin Landweber was Department Sergeant-at-Arms and Secretary simultaneously. Lou Scida was one of only four members of the department to serve as both Chief and President. As with most fire companies, the family thread runs deeply. Ex-Chief Salowski’s son Walter, a former member, is an Ex-Captain, as are Ronald Stone and his son Brian. Ex-Chief Michael Uttaro is the grandson of charter member Joseph Coote. Michael and Eamon Ward are active members and their brother Brian is a former member. Chief Michael Farrone’s daughter Carly is also a member.
Company 5 has served the community proudly for over sixty-five years. We will continue to do so to honor the commitment of those who came before us and will instill that pride in our future members.
Company #4 of the Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Department was organized in 1926 and is one of two ladder companies in the department. Company #4's firehouse, which is located on Northern Boulevard in Great Neck, was erected in 1937. In September 2003, the firehouse underwent major renovations, which included the addition of a third apparatus bay, new officer's room, exercise room, kitchen and increased parking areas.
Company #4 proudly protects the communities of University Gardens, Russell Gardens, Lake Success, North New Hyde Park and portions of the unincorporated areas of Great Neck, as well as Thomaston. Company #4 currently responds to incidents with three pieces of apparatus: Tower Ladder 8744, Ladder 8743 and Engine 8740. The members of Company #4 have a great deal of pride and tradition and respond to over 500 incidents yearly.
Written by: MLFD
History of Company #4
When the M-LFD was formed in 1912, Section 4 was on New Hyde Park Road at the Northern State Parkway. The firehouse was a barn on the property of the Red Lion Inn. A fellow by the name of George Washington once stayed there during the Revolutionary War.Around 1919, Section 4 was disbanded and it wasn’t until 1926 that concerned citizens got together to discuss the issue. The farms were disappearing and private homes were springing up at a rapid rate. It was felt that Section 3 on Prospect Street in Thomaston was too far away to provide adequate protection, so Company 4 was commissioned.
The newly formed unit acquired a Model T Ford truck from the Douglaston Fire Company. The brakes were an issue for Lizzie, as she was known, and as the members of the day reported, “She would go like Sam Hill downhill, but going uphill we had to give her a push.” A civic-minded neighbor agreed to store Lizzie in his barn, not realizing that he and his wife would be responsible for opening the barn, sounding the alarm and alerting responding members as to the location of the fire.
In 1927, a new Maxim Hook & Ladder was put in service. It was stored in a shed on the south side of Northern Boulevard, opposite the nearly completed new quarters. When the NYS Highway Department rebuilt Northern Blvd., there was a gully so deep that a brook came down the Boulevard even in dry seasons; in rainy weather it became a torrential river. As firefighters will do, they developed Plan B. They simply turned the rigs around and responded onto Genevieve Place.
In 1937, the present firehouse was completed. Many changes have been made including the 2003 addition of a third apparatus bay, an office on the top floor, increased parking and a gym. Much of the work went a long way toward alleviating the chronic flooding conditions due to the fact that the firehouse is at the bottom of a very long hill.
Company 4 currently responds with a 2006 KME 1500 GPM pumper (8740), a 93’ 1999 LTI Tower Ladder (8744) and a 105’ 2008 Smeal Aerial Ladder (8743). We respond to over 500 calls per year and have 59 active members. We are proud of our reputation: You need us – we’re there. We will get the job done.
We have a long family history in this Department; many names are repeated throughout the years. When you look down our roster you will see Boesch (John Sr. is a 50+year member) Brengel, Dolan, Gould (Frank was a Chief and Commissioner, Tim is an Ex-Captain and District Superintendant), Kopel, McNichol, Rabinowitz, Shaffer (Dean is a 55+year member) and Stepanek (Tom is the 1st Lieutenant of Company 4).
We have always taken pride in the fact that when called to duty we’re ready to go to work. When the horn blows, Company 4 responds and gets the job done.
Company #3 of the Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Department is a Fire/Rescue company located on Prospect Street in Great Neck and responds to over 500 incidents yearly. Company #3 protects the communities of Thomaston, University Gardens, Russell Gardens and sections of Lake Success and Manhasset.
Company #3 is one of two Manhasset-Lakeville fire companies with Hurst "Jaws of Life" rescue systems and responds to all motor vehicle accidents as well as vehicle fires on the Long Island Expressway and Northern State Parkway.
Company #3’s current apparatus includes Engine 8735, Engine 8733 and Heavy Rescue 8730. Heavy Rescue 8730 is a specialty piece of apparatus and responds to all motor vehicle accidents with entrapment, working fires, technical rescues and hazardous material incidents throughout the entire district.
Company #3’s firehouse is also the home of the Manhasset-Lakeville Ambulance Unit and all of its apparatus.
Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Department - 870