In December 1899 group of 21 residents of the then small community of Wantagh met for the purpose of forming a Fire Department. A Certificate of Incorporation was filed with the Secretary of State on January 2, 1900, thus incorporating "Wantagh Hook and Ladder Company #1. At a meeting held on July 5, 1900, a proposal was made "that a paper be drawn to solicit subscriptions for the purchase of a “truck". A committee to raise funds was appointed, and after a very successful dinner and dance the department had more than enough for a truck.
WFD's Marine One docked at Wantagh Park
At the end of 1900 after one year of operation the membership totaled approximately 40 members.The possibility of forming a Fire District was finally realized in 1922 with the formation of the Wantagh Fire District.
In 1953, the Wantagh Fire Department consisted of three firehouses. Headquartered (presently Wantagh Auto Body) on Railroad Avenue facing theLong Island Railroad Tracks, which were not yet elevated. Station 2 was a two car garage on Wantagh Avenue near General Douglas MacArthur High School and Station 3 was a two car garage on Neptune Avenue in Seaford Harbor.As the suburban area developed some New York City firefighters moved to the suburbs and many joined the Wantagh Fire Department.
During the month of August in 1954 a United States Air Force fighter while traveling from Delaware to Massachusetts crashed into the middle of the street on Denver Road in Wantagh. The crash and ensuing fire damaged some 30 homes on Denver Road, Dover Road and Roxbury Avenue.
In 1964, the Jones Beach Boardwalk Restaurant was destroyed by fire. As a result of the restaurant fire, New York State contracted with the Wantagh Fire Department to protectJones Beach State Park, while the Town of Oyster Bay contracted with the Department to protect Tobay Beach.
wantagh fire department