Seaford Fire Department History Founded: 1903 Call Sign: 680
Submitted & Written by Kevin Weeks:
For over 100 years it was generally excepted that the SFD was founded in 1900 but, research in the last 8 to 10 years has found that, the fire company (Seaford Hook, Ladder & Engine Co. 1) was founded in 1903. The first piece of apparatus was a 1876 Chemical Wagon, still owned by the company today and was partially restored in 2000. It was purchased sometime in 1903. The Hook & Ladder Wagon was purchased around 1910. It was drawn to scenes using a horse own by Charter member Ansel Raynor, it was later mounted on a ford Chassis. The first "station house" was a shed built on the property of Mrs Ann Ryan, behind the school house. In 1917, the school board voted to build a new modern school and the 3 room 2 story wooden school building was donated to the fire company. It was moved from its site on Jackson ave & Wavverly ave, around the corner to waverly ave & southard ave in 1921.
Over the years, 6 truck bays were added with a 2nd floor above the bay's. In the 1950's, the fleet was reduced to 4 rigs as larger & more improved apparatus was purchased, 2 of the bay's were closed up to make a "Rec room" for the members. A 5 bay was added again in a different location in 1970 when the fleet grew to 5 rigs. In 1971/1972 the current Fire house was built across the street and it would house 7 rigs. In 1975/1976 the old fire house had its truck bays torn down and the old school house part of the building was donated to the Seaford Historical Society and was moved again to its current location to become there Museum.
Around 1980, the fleet was reduced to 6 rigs and would stay this way until the early 90's. In the early 1990's a very large shed was built behind the fire house & was joking referred to by members as "station 2". It housed the fire police unit (686) and the old dodge ambulance that was converted to a transportation unit (688). Around 2010 an addition was added to the current station. Bring it up to 9 apparatus bays & 1 maintenance bay.
As of 2014, the SFD has the same station house from 1972. 3 Engines (681, 682, 6810), 1 Aerial Ladder (683), 1 Heavy Rescue (687), 2 Ambulances (684, 685), 1 Medic Fly car (6899), 1 Fire Police unit (686), 1 Transportation unit (688), 1 water Rescue unit (6811), 3 Chiefs vehicles (6800, 6801, 6802), and 1 Maintenance unit (680M)