Oceanside Fire Department, Terrace Hose & Chemical Company#3
Written By: Oceanside Fire Department
UNITS: Engine 248 & Engine 2482
Company History: Terrace is part of the first response for unit calls in the northern and eastern sections of the Oceanside Fire District.
Terrace Hose & Chemical Company #3 was organized on June 13, 1928. It was founded by 12 charter members in a deli on Nassau Parkway. Two years later, Terrace moved to it's present location on Columbus Avenue, which back then was a mere single garage.
It's first truck was a Model-T hose wagon. As just a hose company, Terrace could not pump water at a fire, but would respond to calls and provide additional hose for the town's single pumper. In 1931, the hose wagon was retired, and Terrace got their first pumper, an American LaFrance. Terrace was now able to respond to calls as a fully functional engine company, and no longer needed the additional engine. In 1971, Terrace began operating with two pumers, when along with it's 1952 Ahrens Fox, it received an American LaFrance. Today, Terrace still maintains 2 pumpers, Engine 248 and Engine 2482.
Terrace has a long tradition and ties to the fire service. Members from Terrace have served on and chaired the Oceanside Board of Fire Commissioners, and belong to organizations such as the Nassau County Fireman's Association (including the 2002 president), the Fireman's Association of the State of New York and the New York State Fire Chiefs Association. Terrace also has 7 ex-chiefs amongst its members, the most of any Oceanside fire company.
In July of 1998, the Terrace Firehouse was in need of major repairs. Terrace was temporarily relocated to Fire Headquarters (the home of Salamander Hook, Ladder, & Bucket Company #1), as a result of construction at the firehouse. The cost of construction was more than the membership of Terrace could afford and resulted in the selling of the Firehouse to the Oceanside Fire District in 1999. The members and apparatus of Terrace responded from "the Big House" until August 2000. With a cleaned up firehouse, and a brand new truck room, Terrace was home once again.
oceanside fire department, south side hose company #2
Written by: Oceanside Fire Department
South Side Hose Company #2 was organized by Mr. John Denis on August 1, 1927 and granted it's charter by New York State on December 6, 1927.Their initial meeting was held at the Mott Street home of founding member, Linus Anderson. The first order of business was to appoint Mr. Denis as chairman. In addition they elected a slate of officers, adapted a set of by-laws and voted to schedule the monthly meetings for the first Tuesday of each month thereafter. Almost 80 years later we still follow the original '1st Tuesday' schedule adopted at this historic meeting!
Regular company meetings were held at the Salamander Fire Hall on Foxhurst Road from September 6, 1927 through the end of May 1929 and the Company's truck, a Ford Model "T", was stored in the garage of Linus Anderson when not in use.
South Side purchased a plot of land on Oceanside Road for $500.00 and allocated an additional $1,900.00 for materials to build their very own Fire House. Our members pulled together and built the building themselves. On June 5, 1929 the company took up residence, our Model "T" was driven across the field from Linus' garage, and South Side Hose Company #2 had it's first meeting in it's brand new home.
During the 1940's an adjacent lot was purchased. On March 24, 1963 the members broke ground for their new quarters. The building was completed in the fall 1963 and the membership moved in on 22nd of December -- just in time for the 37th Annual Christmas party. They held their first meeting at the new Fire House on January 7, 1964. The original building was left standing and rented out as a source of income for the Company until 1981, when it was taken down to make a parking lot for members.
On March 20, 1971 the mortgage on our Fire House was paid off and the members held a Mortgage Burning Party. That same year it was decided to purchase the adjacent home of "Dutch" Abrams. The company took out a new mortgage, purchased and demolished "Dutch's" house, built an extension on the building and a complete renovation to the interior of the existing Fire House. The extension added a large Rec room, an additional ladies and men's room and a store room. The renovations included the installation of air conditioning, parquet flooring, carpeting, paneling, new ceilings, etc. The interior renovations of the existing space were completed by 1975 and those in the addition shortly thereafter. Once again -- the members did the majority of the work themselves.
In the late 1970's the large storage area in the new addition was converted into a Company Room. The existing company room was then split in 2 and converted to an office for the company officers and a conference room.
This building continues to house our company and has seen numerous facelifts throughout the years. In fact just in the past 3 years we've upgrade our offices, both cosmetically and technologically, replaced our outdated air conditioning with a state-of-the-art computer controlled HVAC system, installed a new EDPM Roof and freshened up our meeting hall with new carpeting and a renovated ladies room.
We, the members of South Side Hose Company #2 are proud of our heritage -- and proudly look forward to the heritage we will leave behind for future members, in turn.
salamander hook, ladder and bucket company #1, oceanside fire department.
UNITS: Tower Ladder 244 & Ariel Ladder 2442
Oceanside Fire Department Hose Company #1
OCEANSIDE FIRE DEPARTMENT -