Old Village photos of Merrick.
Courtesy of the Merrick Historical Society
Taken from "HISTORY OF LONG ISLAND" From it's First Settlement by Europeans,
TO THE YEAR 1845,
by NATHANIEL S. PRIME -1845
MERRICK, probably an abbreviation of the Indian name, Mericoke, is a continuous settlement on the south road about 5 miles south-east of the village, and a short distance east of Raynortown. Here a Methodist church was erected in 1830.
THE BOROUGHS OF BROOKLYN AND QUEENSCOUNTIES OF NASSAU AND SUFFOLK, LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK 1609-1924 by HENRY ISHAM HAZELTON
MERRICK is the oldest settlement on western Long Island excepting Hempstead. Both were settled in 1643. Until within a few years the greater part of what is now the town of Merrick was owned and held by the Hewletts, Carmans and Smiths, who grew bounteous crops upon their vast acres of level, rich fields; but agriculture finally gave way, and the succession of well-tilled farms became a residential section with beautiful houses set in emerald lawns.At Merrick, the water behind the beach which protects the town from the sea, reaches closer to the mainland that at any other place between Lawrence on the west, and Babylon on the east; for this reason the people of Queens County, trading with New York before the days of railroads, brought their supplies hither by packets that threaded Jones' Inlet at the eastern end of Long Beach, scudded the wide, deep channel that runs to and along Whale Neck Point, and pushes up a little creek at Merrick, almost to the Merrick Road. This creek has been turned into a canal, 2,500 feet long, one hundred feet wide, and ten feet deep at low water.
Written by: Mark Barone
The Apparatus of The Merrick Fire Department . The first fire company of the Merrick Fire Department was formed in 1893 Merrick Hook & Ladder Company One and was the only fire protection in Merrick for a while. In 1927 Friendship Engine and Hose Company Two and Empire Hose Company Number Three was placed in service also at this time in the northern section of Merrick the North Merrick Fire Department was forming and members were transferring to the two newly formed Merrick Companies Friendship and Empire and North Merrick. Merrick is a fire protection district located approximately 15-20 miles from Midtown Manhattan their response area consists of commercial area along Merrick Avenue , Merrick Road , Sunrise Highway and Babylon Turnpike , three elementary schools , multiple canals , Jones Beach , multiple residential dwellings , Meadowbrook State Parkway , Norman Levy Nature Preserve and the Montauk Branch of the Long Island Rail Road.
Photos from the H. Barber / R. Stegner Collection and some miscellaneous web photos.
merrick fire department - 640