South Floral Park Fire Department (The fire department was then-called the Jamaica Square Chemical & Hose Company #3)
became incorporated in 1925 as the Village of Jamaica Square, because residents wanted their own government ruling on local issues that would apply solely to them. Until then, the village was mostly dirt roads and asparagus and potato farmland, with well water and outhouses, and no streetlights or electricity. William J. Ruppert was the first mayor (1925 – 1933) & while in office, the residents then totaling 600, agreed to rename the village in 1931 to South Floral Park.
The adoption was signed and this newly-created South floral park village ran northeast of Jamaica square from Chelsea to Tennessee Street and from Memphis Avenue to Arthur Avenue. Additionally, seven block east and west avenues by four blocks north and south streets. Kingston Avenue area was a cow and sheep grazing field where one would go to get fresh milk. And even though it was developing with the installation of power lines and water pipes, men still hunted rabbits and the area was a secluded place for summer homes. Also, under Ruppert’s administration, the first firehouse was built which was later updated with the construction of the new village hall and fire house. The fire department was then-called the Jamaica Square Chemical & Hose Company #3 and the Ladies’ Auxiliary was created to support them by hosting fundraisers, setting up aid stations, and work events for seniors and children.